Quality Candy, Chocolates, and Gifts Since 1938
Stutz Candy Company was started in the early 1930s by Joe and Mary Stutz when they created unique recipes for each of the delicious centerpieces of chocolates that are still produced. Joe and Mary worked the business as a start-up company, making and selling their chocolates from their garage in Jenkintown borough, Pennsylvania. In 1938, after building the business and growing the facilities in their garage, they set up the factory and their first retail store down the street from their home.
By 1964, Stutz Candy Company had expanded to three retail locations: Jenkintown and Warrington, both in Pennsylvania, and Ship Bottom, New Jersey, located on Long Beach Island. By securing the presence of Stutz in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Stutz has been recognized as a quality manufacturer and retailer in the Delaware Valley chocolate industry.
In 1965, Stutz Candy Company was purchased by the Dairy Maid Confectionary Company, which 3rd generation candy makers owned, the Glaser brothers; in addition to owning Dairy Maid, the four Glaser brothers also owned and operated 1947 several saltwater taffy companies along the Jersey shore. These taffy companies, James Candy Company, Shrivers, and Frailingers, are owned and operated independently by other members of the Glaser family.
When Stutz was purchased, John E. Glaser, a 4th generation candy maker, was tasked with running the day-to-day operations. After working in the candy industry at Dairy Maid and Shrivers for about 18 years, John understood the intricacies of the chocolate business. 1976 the company expanded its manufacturing facility when it was moved to Hatboro, PA. With John’s vision and guidance, Stutz operated six retail outlets. Even as John dedicated his full attention to growing the business, he found time to serve as president of the Pennsylvania Confectionary Association for several years.
In 1980, upon the death of Otto J. Glaser, John’s father, and president of the Dairy Maid Corporation, John bought into and eventually became the sole owner of Stutz Candy Company. John’s determination to succeed and to please the customers helped Stutz expand its candy line to be one of the largest in the area and more than tripled sales. After many years of marketplace changes and John’s failing health, Stutz reduced their retail locations to three by 2009. In April 2012, John semi-retired to Florida and left the day-to-day operations to his nephew, Richard Knappik, still only a phone call away. Unfortunately, after hurricane sandy struck in October 2012, the Ship Bottom location suffered extensive damage to the building and was sold.
Stutz Candy Company was passed to the fifth generation in the candy business when John passed away in October 2013. His vision for a strong contender in the candy manufacturing and retail industry will continue with a committed, loyal work staff.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.