The Barnegat Light First Aid Squad was founded to provide emergency medical services and transportation to residents and visitors on the north end of Long Beach Island. Incorporated on July 15, 1952 with a single used ambulance donated by the Long Beach Island Rotary Club, the squad’s assets rapidly grew to include a second used ambulance a year later, a third brand new one in 1959. In 1960, the building that remains the squad’s headquarters to this day was dedicated. Now under the leadership of Captain Bob Selfridge, the all-volunteer squad currently boasts 35 active first responders, of which more than 60% are EMTs. Last year, the organization had nearly 400 calls for emergency aid.
While initially encompassing all areas from the causeway north, population growth on LBI in the early 1990s created the need for a separate agency to serve the borough of Surf City. The agency’s current coverage area extends south from the northernmost end of LBI, and includes the boroughs of Barnegat Light and Harvey Cedars, and the High Bar Harbor, Loveladies, and North Beach sections of Long Beach Township. Ambulances and other response vehicles are housed in the squad building located at 15 West 10th Street in Barnegat Light, with another ambulance staged at Harvey Cedars Borough Hall.
Community events hosted or served by the squad include the annual Christmas Cookies with Santa, following his arrival by USCG vessel to the 10th Street Boat Ramp; Sidewalk CPR, a free lesson in hands-only bystander CPR offered on select Sundays in the summer; and standby coverage for the finish line of the annual Commemorative LBI 18-Mile Run presented jointly by the Jewish Community Center and the St. Francis Community Center. Residents and guests can also find squad members and vehicles at annual events like Kids’ Night in the Park in Harvey Cedars, the Ocean Mile Swim to benefit the Barnegat Light Beach Patrol, and many others.
New members are always welcome. Monthly meetings are at 7:00 PM on the second Monday of each month.